- The AMI Primary Teacher Training Course is designed to educate adults about the Montessori philosophy and curriculum for children aged 3 to 6 years old.
- The course is open to individuals undertaking their first career and to those who are eager to return to the classroom to start a new career. Prior professional or academic experience in the education industry is not a requirement.
- Experience working with or caring for children is an asset.
- Students receive lectures on Montessori history, philosophy and practice. The students learn about the developmental needs of children aged 3 to 6 and how the Montessori materials cater to the needs of each child.
- Students receive training on how to present the Montessori materials to children as well as the purpose underpinning each lesson and material.
- Students have opportunities to participate in discussion groups and refine their understanding of the Montessori materials in a safe and inclusive training centre.
- Students complete placements in local Montessori classrooms where they apply their training through observation and practice teaching under the supervision of an AMI trained guide.
The AMI Primary Course is one academic year in length:
- The course runs from the beginning of September to the end of May; with 2 weeks holiday in December and 2 weeks holiday in March
- Classes run from Monday to Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Please note: students are expected to be available on Fridays during exam times and while they are practicing teaching in schools
- Bachelor’s Degree or;
- A College Diploma or;
- A Private Career College Diploma, with a minimum of two year’s work experience
The Foundation for Montessori Education welcomes applications from international students. Those who hold a degree from a University outside of Canada must have their degree assessed by an academic credentials evaluation service or a recognized Canadian University and submit the assessment along with their application. World Education Services provides credential assessment on a document-by-document basis.
The AMI Primary Course is conducted in English at a university level. Applicants who have English as a second language are responsible for ensuring their language proficiency is at a minimum TOEFL score of 83 or IELTS Academic score overall band of 6.
Please note: tuition fees are the same for both national and international students.
If you are applying as an international student and have questions about your application, please email: email@example.com or call 416-769-7457.
If you are ready to start your application, please click here to review the application checklist.
The application fee is $200 CAD. Please note that your application will not be reviewed until the application fee is received.
For more information on how to pay the application fee, please click here.
FME reserves the right to cancel the course if minimum enrolment is not met.
Online Application Form
You are invited to use the online application form below. The form is simple to use and your submission will be received immediately by the FME administration.
Reminder: Documents must be in PDF format.
The tuition for the academic year 2021-2022 is $12,100 (Canadian dollars) payable as follows:
|Application Fee: $200.|
|$1,300.00||Deposit due upon receipt of a letter of acceptance|
|$5,400.00||Due on the first day of the first term|
|$5,400.00||Due on or before the first day of the second term|
|$50.00||AMI Membership due with first term tuition fees|
|$500.00||Examination Fees due with second term tuition fees|
|Note: NO tuition is required for the second term should a student withdraw or be asked to withdraw before January 1st.|
$600 minimum should be budgeted for books and course materials.
Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-769-7457.
- The Absorbent Mind
- The Advanced Montessori Method – Volume 1
- Citizen of the World
- The Discovery of the Child
- Education and Peace
- The Formation of Man
- The Secret of Childhood
- The 1946 London Lectures
- All of the above titles written by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Human Tendencies and Montessori Education
by Mario M. Montessori
- Education for Human Development
by Mario M. Montessori Jr.
- Understanding the Human Being
by Dr. Silvana Quattrocchi Montanaro